With the addition of more than $147 million in state matching funds bringing renovation funds up to $334.6 million, the planning department completed 22 separate projects at 19 schools.
Prop BB is complete and the last $15 million in funding was rolled over into Prop O.
Closeout of all Prop BB projects is also part of the Prop O work.
Prop BB Documents
Summer Sprint 2007 Projects
Through the successful execution of Sweetwater’s rapidly increased construction schedule, the Project Management Team has been able to implement a third round of summer sprint projects not previously anticipated. These additional modernization projects will be funded from interest money and the savings accrued from the low change order rate on previous projects. The Summer Sprint 2007 Projects, will take place at Bonita Vista Middle School, Castle Park Middle School, Granger Junior High School, Hilltop Middle School, and Southwest Middle School. These projects are scheduled to be completed in time for the 2007 fall semester.
The summer sprint program has been a contributing factor to accelerating Proposition BB work. It has enabled Sweetwater to both start and complete construction while students and staff were on summer break, thereby saving on costly relocatable classrooms to temporarily house students and staff, and resulting in fewer distractions during school hours.
Final Proposition BB Work
Final work on Proposition BB is approaching an end. The work performed over the last 6 years (2001 – 2007) has allowed Sweetwater to complete its plan a full 11 years ahead of schedule. 30 modernization and growth projects have been achieved at 22 school sites with over 71% of hard costs (bricks and mortar) having been installed.
Sweetwater having been recognized as a finalist for the “Golden Watch Dog Award,” an honor given by the San Diego County Taxpayers Association for fiscal responsibility, continues to strive to meet efficient use of public funds. Change orders have been incredibly low, percentages at less than 4½%, as apposed to the 7-10% range for industry standard.
Through efforts to support the development and growth of local, small, emerging, and disabled-veteran owned business enterprises, (L/S/E/DVBE), the Board of Trustees approved an Outreach Program at the September 2005 Board Meeting. Sixty-five percent of construction contracts have been awarded to local firms and 8.4% of outreach from small, emerging, DVBE businesses has been achieved. Thirtyeight percent of construction contracts have been awarded to minority or women-owned businesses.
Past, Current, and Future Summer Sprint projects are listed in italics.
Schools in Occupancy/Close-out Phases
- Bonita Vista High School Phase 1a / Phase 1b
- Bonita Vista Middle School Phase 1a / Phase 1b
- Castle Park High School Phase 1a / Phase 1b
- Castle Park Middle School Phase 1a / Phase 1b
- Chula Vista High School Phase Growth
- Chula Vista Middle School Phase 1a / Phase 1b
- East Lake High School
- Hilltop Middle School Phase 1a / Phase 1b
- Granger Junior High School Phase 1a / Phase 1b
- Mar Vista High School Phase 1a / Phase 1b
- Mar Vista Middle School Phase 1a / Phase 1b
- Montgomery High School Growth
- Montgomery High School Phase 1a / Phase 1b
- Montgomery Middle School Phase 1a / Phase 1b
- National City Middle School Growth
- San Ysidro High School Phase 2 (Track Field)
- Southwest High School Phase 1a
- Southwest Middle School Phase 1a
- Sweetwater High School Phase 1a / Phase 1b
Schools Currently in Construction Phase
- Chula Vista High School Phase 1a / Phase 1b
- Hilltop High School Phase 1a
- National City Middle School Phase 1a
- Southwest High School Phase 1b
- San Ysidro High School Phase 2 (Classroom Building)
Schools in Bid/Award Phase
- Bonita Vista Middle School Summer Sprint 2007
- Castle Park Middle School Summer Sprint 2007
- Granger Junior High School Summer Sprint 2007
- Hilltop High School Phase 1B
- Hilltop Middle School Summer Sprint 2007
- Montgomery Adult School
- Palomar High School
- Southwest Middle School Summer Sprint 2007
Schools in Design or Planning Phase
- San Ysidro High School Phase 2 (Performing Arts Building) – Completed in 2008
- San Ysidro High School Phase 2 (Shelters and Ball Field Dugouts) – Completed
- Sweetwater High School Growth – design phase (2-Story, 15 Classroom Building) – See Prop O
Thank you for your interest, patience and support while we transform Sweetwater’s facilities infrastructure into 21st century learning environments throughout our growing district.