Long Range Facility Master Plan Community Meetings
The Sweetwater Union High School District (SUHSD) is re-engaging processes to update the comprehensive Long Range Facility Master Plan. This current draft includes information from community meetings, school site meetings, District-wide on-line survey data, current education adequacy review by consultants, condition assessment of existing buildings and technology. The SUHSD vision for completing the update to the 10 year Long Range Facility Master Plan is to engage the stakeholders to attend a round of community meetings starting in October 2015.
The Sweetwater Union High School District (SUHSD) is asking the stakeholders to provide insight to their schools in the District. Stakeholders’ insight to their schools are the key cornerstone to a successful Long Range Master Plan for the next 10 years. We understand that stakeholders are in contact with the schools everyday and hold the greatest knowledge and understanding of the needs of their schools.
Stakeholders’ attendance at the community meetings are for stakeholder voices to be heard by the District, so we can better serve you.
The locations and dates for the community meetings in your Region are listed below:
Meetings are scheduled from 6:30 to 8:30 PM at each host site.
October 6, 2015 – 6:30 PM
Eastlake High School – Chapman Theatre
Schools and Board of Trustee Representative: Frank A. Tarantino
- Eastlake High School
- EastLake Middle School
- Rancho Del Rey Middle School
- Otay Ranch High School
- Olympian High School
- East Hills Academy
October 14, 2015 – 6:30 PM
Hilltop Middle School – Cafeteria
Schools and Board of Trustee Representative: Kevin J. Pike
- Hilltop Middle School
- Hilltop High School
- Bonita Vista High School
- Bonita Vista Middle School
October 20, 2015 – 6:30 PM
Castle Park Middle School – Cafeteria
Schools and Board of Trustee Representative: Nicholas Segura
- Castle Park Middle School
- Castle Park High School
- San Ysidro High School
- San Ysidro Adult School
- Chula Vista Adult School
- Palomar High School
October 27, 2015 – 6:30 PM
National City Middle School – Auditorium
Schools and Board of Trustee Representative: Arturo Solis
- National City Middle School
- Granger Junior High School
- Sweetwater High School
- Chula Vista High School
- Chula Vista Middle School
- National City Adult School
November 3, 2015 – 6:30 PM
Montgomery High School – New Gym
Schools and Board of Trustee Representative: Paula Hall
- Montgomery High School
- Montgomery Adult School
- Montgomery Middle School
- Mar Vista High School
- Mar Vista Academy
- Southwest High School
- Southwest Middle School
Each month the District’s Board of Trustees updates the Capital Facilities Financing Plan (currently it is agenda item M-1 each month). Consultant items related to construction are usually item M-2 and Change Orders (if any) are usually item M-3. The current CFFP can be found on BoardDocs as Agenda Item M-1.
- Replaced the aging Transportation Supervisor’s trailer with a different, newer existing trailer at the District office in 2013.
- Implemented a web-based school of residence locator web-page for use by staff and the public in 2012.
- Completed replacement of stadium light poles at Otay Ranch High School and San Ysidro High School in 2012. The poles were part of a federal recall because of manufacturing defects (the company went bankrupt as well) and had to be replaced.
- Completed replacement of the artificial turf and resurfacing of the track at Otay Ranch High School in 2012.
- Installed lifts for accessibility at the pools at Mar Vista High School in 2012.
- Completed relocation of the Learning Center and construction of science classrooms at Eastlake High School in 2012.
- Completed construction of East Hills Academy on the Olympian High School campus in 2011.
- Monitored construction of the YMCA Community Center and soccer rink on the Montgomery Middle School campus in 2011.
- Installed softball outfield fencing at San Ysidro High School in 2011.
- Completed installation of the challenge course at Castle Park Middle School in 2010 (funded by the San Diego Chargers).
- Installed softball outfield fencing at Otay Ranch High School in 2010.
- Added a restroom building to Bounce Back (on Moss) in 2010.
- Completed construction of various improvements at Olympian High School in 2009.
- Completed construction of Maida Stanovik Torres Performing Arts Center at San Ysidro High School in 2008.
- New artificial turf football fields installed at: Otay Ranch High in 2003, Olympian High and San Ysidro High in 2006, and at Eastlake High in 2008.
- Opened Olympian High School in August 2006.
- Completed Phase 1A and 1B, and the Multi Purpose Building at Chula Vista Middle School in 2004.
- Opened Eastlake Middle School in July 2003.
- Opened Otay Ranch High School in July 2003.
- Opened San Ysidro High School in July 2002.
- Completed construction of new gymnasium facilities at Mar Vista High School and Sweetwater High Schools in 2002.
Proposition O was passed by the voters in 2006 and will provide $644 million for renovation of all schools in the district. Phase 1 will combine $180 million from Prop O Bond Sale 1 with $15.0 million from remaining Prop BB funds and $61.7 million in state funding to renovate the first 10 schools (and a number of small projects). Click here for the Prop O website.
With the addition of more than $147 million in state matching funds bringing renovation funds up to $334.6 million, the planning department completed 22 separate projects at 19 schools.
Prop BB is complete and the last $15 million in funding was rolled over into Prop O.
Closeout of all Prop BB projects is also part of the Prop O work.
Prop BB Documents
- Prop BB Series A Official Statement
- Prop BB Series B Official Statement
- Prop BB Series C Official Statement
Summer Sprint 2007 Projects
Through the successful execution of Sweetwater’s rapidly increased construction schedule, the Project Management Team has been able to implement a third round of summer sprint projects not previously anticipated. These additional modernization projects will be funded from interest money and the savings accrued from the low change order rate on previous projects. The Summer Sprint 2007 Projects, will take place at Bonita Vista Middle School, Castle Park Middle School, Granger Junior High School, Hilltop Middle School, and Southwest Middle School. These projects are scheduled to be completed in time for the 2007 fall semester.
The summer sprint program has been a contributing factor to accelerating Proposition BB work. It has enabled Sweetwater to both start and complete construction while students and staff were on summer break, thereby saving on costly relocatable classrooms to temporarily house students and staff, and resulting in fewer distractions during school hours.
Final Proposition BB Work
Final work on Proposition BB is approaching an end. The work performed over the last 6 years (2001 – 2007) has allowed Sweetwater to complete its plan a full 11 years ahead of schedule. 30 modernization and growth projects have been achieved at 22 school sites with over 71% of hard costs (bricks and mortar) having been installed.
Sweetwater having been recognized as a finalist for the “Golden Watch Dog Award,” an honor given by the San Diego County Taxpayers Association for fiscal responsibility, continues to strive to meet efficient use of public funds. Change orders have been incredibly low, percentages at less than 4½%, as apposed to the 7-10% range for industry standard.
Through efforts to support the development and growth of local, small, emerging, and disabled-veteran owned business enterprises, (L/S/E/DVBE), the Board of Trustees approved an Outreach Program at the September 2005 Board Meeting. Sixty-five percent of construction contracts have been awarded to local firms and 8.4% of outreach from small, emerging, DVBE businesses has been achieved. Thirtyeight percent of construction contracts have been awarded to minority or women-owned businesses.
Past, Current, and Future Summer Sprint projects are listed in italics.
Schools in Occupancy/Close-out Phases
Schools Currently in Construction Phase
Schools in Bid/Award Phase
- Bonita Vista Middle School Summer Sprint 2007
- Castle Park Middle School Summer Sprint 2007
- Granger Junior High School Summer Sprint 2007
- Hilltop High School Phase 1B
- Hilltop Middle School Summer Sprint 2007
- Montgomery Adult School
- Palomar High School
- Southwest Middle School Summer Sprint 2007
Schools in Design or Planning Phase
- San Ysidro High School Phase 2 (Performing Arts Building) – Completed in 2008
- San Ysidro High School Phase 2 (Shelters and Ball Field Dugouts) – Completed
- Sweetwater High School Growth – design phase (2-Story, 15 Classroom Building) – See Prop O
Thank you for your interest, patience and support while we transform Sweetwater’s facilities infrastructure into 21st century learning environments throughout our growing district.
During Proposition BB, the Board of Trustees adopted a new Long Range Facilities Master Plan (LRFMP).
The plan was adopted on July 20, 2004 and an update was approved on January 23, 2006 in preparation for Proposition O.
The documents are large and the 3 volumes and 1 update have been broken up into smaller files.
- Long Range Facilities Master Plan Volume 1 of 3a
- Long Range Facilities Master Plan Volume 1 of 3b
- Long Range Facilities Master Plan Volume 1 of 3c
- Long Range Facilities Master Plan Volume 1 of 3d